Recently...

October 22, 2009

I know he cut off his ear but...


I took this picture of my sassy best friend Dana outside of the Musée d'Orsay in Paris. She’s telling Van Gogh to “talk to the hand.” Lame 90s catch phrase, but I thought I’d use it.

Beyond having gorgeous paintings and a tragic artist existence Van Gogh also had some wise words to share:

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore." 

Fear is a safety zone. The thought of going after a dream, an ambition or even a person can terrify us more than Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada. But what exactly is keeping us ashore?

Maybe: FAILURE, REJECTION, THE UNKNOWN, RIDICULE, FINANCIAL STABILITY, COMFORT, ROUTINE

This quote resonates with me because I can be the QUEEN of making excuses, over analyzing and then analyzing some more about reasons not to take that leap.  I like safety nets. I am always torn between my cushy reality and wham bam CHANGE. One thrills, scares and excites me while the other leaves me yawning, but safe.


But I’ve decided to take my step forward. I know the answers won't come right away because going forward is a journey. You'll have to fight hard one day and coast in absolute bliss the next.

No matter what failure, rejection or ridicule awaits you, I believe these two words will haunt you for years to come: WHAT IF?

We can all take a page from my former roommate who has started a challenge of doing things she fears and then blogging about them.

So what are you waiting for?  NOTHING. Do something you've been putting off or place your trust in the unknown. Let me know how it goes.

I love hearing your comments and feedback!

5 comments

  1. I'm proud of you missy bc admitting your fears will help u conquer them :)
    ps. Danza looks super cool in that picture lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. western, i noticed this and i really like it!!

    i really like the quote u incorporated, i love quotes lol...and i think u should continue to use them in ur blogs! (i have a bunch if u need lol)

    keep up the good wrk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We cant be afraid of those things, you have to just go out there and say HEY WORLD, HERE I FUCKING AM. DEAL WITH IT.

    Then the world can feel scared of you rejecting it, thus, you win.

    You:1, World:0.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.notamodelblog.com/2009/10/i-know-he-cut-off-his-ear.html?showComment=1603278374724&m=1#c6580026640644027230

    ReplyDelete


UP