Recently...

November 18, 2009

SPOTLIGHT ON: Beauty Careers

I remember the day she arrived to take my place.

I was finishing up my beauty internship at FASHION Magazine and heading back to university. I was feeling territorial and had mixed emotions about leaving. I mean, who wants to give up a job where your daily tasks include hanging out in a giant closet of beauty products and attending cool makeup events?

With bright blonde hair and deep blue eyes, the new Amanda arrived and I was ready to show her the ropes. She was bubbly, friendly and a fellow beauty addict. I immediately knew they had chosen the perfect person to take my place.

A year and a half later she’s also moved on from FASHION and is now the Public Relations Assistant for Revlon Canada.

I interviewed Amanda Losier to give notamodel readers some insider beauty advice. Enjoy!

Q: What beauty product can you not live without?

A: It is impossible for me to pick just one! For the sake of this interview I will narrow it down to two. Pressed Powder foundation: to cover up any imperfections and blemishes. (Maybelline Pure Stay Powder Foundation is great for touch-ups on the go and the price is right!) Pink Lip gloss: to brighten up my entire face. (Revlon Super Lustrous Lipgloss in "Pink Afterglow" is one of my favourites) As long as my skin looks great and my lips are stained pink, I'm good to go!

Q: Can you offer some advice for people who want to break into the beauty industry?

A: If there's one thing I've learned it is to not be intimidated if you don't have any experience. There are plenty of internships available which will be a stepping-stone to gaining experience, contacts and future opportunities. Networking is very important and don't be afraid to contact people to ask for help or information. With the way the job market is these days, it's all about who you know and being in the right place at the right time. Ask around. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there. Also, the beauty industry isn't glamourous all the time as some may assume (some days I'm stuck in a warehouse packing boxes all day covered in dust and tape) it's important to have realistic expectations.

Q: What is the best part about your job?

A: The variety and being surrounded by beauty products all day. Every day is different and I get to deal with all aspects of the beauty industry through my job. There are always new and exciting projects, events and products.

Q: Who is your beauty icon?

A: Barbie has been my beauty icon for as long as I can remember. She was a big part of my childhood and still has an influence on my personal style. Needless to say, I was thrilled when Barbie turned 50 this year and became the inspiration for many beauty and fashion brands. Barbie really is the ultimate glamour girl.

5 comments


UP