Recently...

January 9, 2010

(Girl) Talk is Cheap


[photo credit: myfreewallpapers.net]

Billy Crystal said it best, "Men and Women can't be friends," (When Harry Met Sally).

I've come to agree with this statement whole-heartedly and yet I've broken this rule many times. I thought I could find loopholes such as if one party was already in an existing relationship. But that proved to be even worse. It seems that someone always falls for the other. Someone's intentions somehow suddenly change along the way. The only way it works is when all parties have known each other for a very long time. Let's say since pre-pubescent, lip smackers and boy band days.

Moving back home has been a Halloween candy bag of experiences. There's the good stuff like the full sized chocolate bars, and then you find the cheap cellophane wrapped candy mints. But my sugar rush now comes in the form of my friends, half of them being part of the male gender. Most of us went to the same elementary school but attended separate high schools and while some moved away for university, most stayed put. Regardless, we've somehow managed to find each other again at a time when everyone is trying to figure out the next chapter of our lives.

Sometimes I much prefer talking to guys. Don't get me wrong, I love my girlfriends and appreciate their advice but it is interesting to get a male's perspective. Guys are also more relaxed, less catty and more honest I find.

Overall it is fair to say that every guy has a different perspective on relationships based on past experiences, yet they all want the head-over-heels-in-love-must-have-a-life-of-their-own-perhaps-a-respectable-career-chilled-cool-personality-hang-with-my-friends-hang-with-yours-non-clingy-must-be-attractive-face-and-body-and-not-boring- same thing.

I can safely say this goes for most girls too. At this point, no one is willing to settle for cheap cellophane wrapped mint candy.

My favourite gem of advice comes from Andrew who has left us for law school in England. When he returned for the holidays I filled him in on my most recent boy escapades. He said, "He sounds like a bloody wanker." Spoken like a true Brit.

You see I know it won't always be this way but for now it's nice to live in my very own version of FRIENDS, suburban style. 

Now if I could only get Jennifer Aniston's arms.

6 comments

  1. Wow, this post was magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is soo true. Letting new guys into your life always ends up in a one-sided attraction because the whole "getting-to-know-you" process can be pretty intimate. It's definately a different relationship when the guys in your life have been there since (in my case) grade 1, seen you change, seen you grow, and know you in a comepletely different way. Those are friends I connect with best and want to have hanging around for as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. count me in for any version of a "FRIENDS" life...
    down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'head-over-heels-in-love-must-have-a-life-of-their-own-perhaps-a-respectable-career-chilled-cool-personality-hang-with-my-friends-hang-with-yours-non-clingy-must-be-attractive-face-and-body-and-not-boring'....made me laugh a little bit lol...where did u come up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. through extensive research Dave, or just be the only girl at a round table full of guys and you'll learn a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! Btw thats a pretty good description of what I want in a guy hahah

    ReplyDelete


UP