Recently...

January 6, 2016

2016: Things are totally gonna work out


Happy 2016! 

Every January, we step forward into another year with hope it will be better. We want to alleviate the thought that nothing ever changes, so we make resolutions. Mine are generally repetitive each turn: be healthier, write more, stress less, travel somewhere new. etc.

2015 was one of my more challenging years. And yet, I feel like I've been saying this for a few calendar flips now.  As a child, no one ever read me a book about a female heroine navigating her late twenties. I did partially learn how to slay (deadbeat) dragons and evil witches though.

Well, this year, instead of making resolutions because I haven't completed half the ones I made last year, I reflect. Below are some of my thoughts for getting through another year. Enjoy! x


90% Terrible, 10% Okay - As a whole, I wasn't fond of 2015, but looking back there was always an upside. When crucial things like my health, relationships, and career were a hot mess, there were always fragments in between that were positive, such as: a supportive family and friend group; an apartment to call my own, and even the ability to walk up and down the street made me realize that I was luckier than most. Lesson: find the gratitude.

Get A Mirror - There was a period where I resigned to a certain level of unhappiness, like a stained shirt that no matter how many times you wash it, never seems to get clean. I became used to this feeling, always looking outward. Eventually I had to take a long, hard look at myself, at my habits, and at my attitude. It couldn't all be exterior. I had to find a way to get out of my head, and do something different if I wanted a change.

Eliminate the tricksters - In my screenwriting class in the fall, we learned about archetypes in film. A trickster is someone who at first seems good for your protagonist, but turns out, they only cause them pain, or a new level of self-awareness. The only advice I have on this is: learn the lesson, and get rid of them. There will be bad besties, bosses, bros, and boyfriends, and you can either remove these people from your inner circle, or find a way to change how you react to them. In 2015, I was able to get out of negative situations with toxic people, and once I did, I felt 100001% better.

You Can't Rush It - You know that moment in Freaky Friday when Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis are trying to change back into their old selves? (Admittingly I watched this on Netflix recently). Anyways, they slam into each other but nothing happens until they let time pass, and eventually learn something new. This year, I found that for the longest time everything felt the same, and then towards the end of the year, everything was different. If I had continued to slam myself into change without being ready, I'd still be in the same spot. Lesson: let time run.

And that's it! Here's to a happy and healthy new year. xx

8 comments

  1. Giving up on the typical New Year's resolutions seems to be a trend this year. I wonder why this attitude is so common across the board?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely.
    shoutout to me for the title of this blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear 2015 wasn't a great year for you (you're not alone - it wasn't completely wonderful for me either) but I'm glad there are things you can pull from it. I too like to do a reflection blog post at the end of the year, mostly to remind me that there was some good in it; that I grew a bit, changed a bit, lived a bit.

    Here's hoping 2016 will see better things for both of us. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thank you for the information and articles you provided

    ReplyDelete


UP