Recently...

December 26, 2009

CURSE OF THE CURLS

Since I was a little girl I was always known as "Amanda with the curly hair." 

My curly flaxen locks seem to define me. My relationship with my ringlets has always been a rocky one. I remember running from my mother while she tried to comb out the unforgiving knots. I always had to be Scary Spice when we played Spice Girls at recess. Some notable nicknames include: Sideshow Bob, Pubes, Tina Turner & Barbie with a perm.

In Grade 7 I wore my hair in a bun every single day for an entire year. My parents would beg, "Rapunzel uhh Amanda, please let down your hair!"

It was only until I entered my university years that I started to let the beast roam free and accept what the good Lord gave me. A couple months ago I even changed the colour. While always sticking to my blonde roots, I decided to go some sort of golden, bronzey reddish hue. At first I didn't recognize myself in the mirror. Now it is faded and washed out just like that time period in my life. Do you ever look back at a hairstyle and remember the person you used to be? I've come to realize that hair is just hair and mine is only a small part of who I am. To me, hair is a large vanity and this song is always a solid reminder.

On another note, for the holidays I always like to change it up and try a looser look.

Step 1: ACCEPTANCE- Make peace with the daunting task ahead.

STEP 2: TRY & TAME THE BEAST.
 
STEP 3: SMILE AT A  DECENT JOB WELL DONE MINUS A HAIRDRESSER!


Products & Tools:

Tonight, I'm hosting a small party for a group of my closest friends. The guys and girls who remembered me when I met them in Grade 6 with my giant 'fro.

Happy Winter Break!

4 comments

  1. you're hair is beautiful..and so are you! you forgot one nickname: off the wall! hahaha LOVE YOU and cant wait for tonight

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great! Annnd I love the curls no matter how crazy they get!
    Enjoy your holidays & see ya soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post and personally covet your hair! you tamed it beautifully but it looked great in all stages :)

    ReplyDelete


UP