Recently...

February 20, 2010

For Yulanda

I was deeply saddened to read the news that Yulanda Yee, a great photographer, blogger and friend of mine lost her second battle to lymphoma cancer this past week. She was 28 years old.

A couple of months ago I wrote a post about gaining perspective. I read that Yulanda was battling cancer and it made me evaluate the trivial nonsense I was spending my energy on. I mentioned that I met Yulanda a couple summers ago while interning at FASHION Magazine. She was the photography intern and I was the beauty intern. She was very shy but I could see that she had a kind, rare heart. Sometimes it is the people who don't always blab their opinions or gush about their life, wealth and accomplishments that make the most impact on others.

I haven't physically seen her since that summer but we regained contact when I discovered her blog. It is interesting how relationships can be renewed through finding something in common with someone creatively, as well as online. Beyond blogging and tweeting, I remember she loved these brownies I made on my last day at FASHION so I sent her a care package with the mix over the holidays.

Yulanda was also featured on the fashion inspiration website Lookbook. I was intrigued and asked her about her postings on the site. She invited me to join the network and said she hoped I would post a look. I never really had the courage to post anything or join based on insecurities. Today, I realize there is no point in hiding behind any sort of fear and I will post a look for her. 

I encourage you to check out her blog Little Thoughts and read the latest post written by her father. By reading her blog it is apparent just how many people loved her photography, style and work. 

She will be missed. 
 

2 comments


UP