Recently...

April 8, 2015

what's your hustle?



Ever since Kate Lanphear became editor in chief of Maxim magazine, I've given the men's glossy a second look. I discovered the new version on a borrowed tablet. The paired down cover shots of Victoria Secret angels/models/superhumans Candice Swanepoel and Lily Aldridge looked, dare I say, real? There was not globs of makeup, nests of hair extensions, or contrived poses to be found. 

This issue's theme is: hustle. 

What is hustle?


It's an interesting concept. To me, it's pushing past the fatigue of impending failure, exhaustion, or the moment right before you give up. It's moving forward when something doesn't work out; when you experience rejection; from the minuscule like someone not holding the door for you, or to the grand like losing your job. It's also keeping on task of goals, even when no one is cheering you on. 

Hustle is a constant churn. It's losing everything you worked hard for, and then popping back up like a piece of bread in a toaster.

Recently, I've had to deal with a few realities of failure and rejection. While difficult, I've learned that failure can be synonymous with hustle. For every letter that says no, there has to be one that says yes. But if you stop sending letters, how will you ever know?

Generally when I feel like I can't hustle anymore is when I get my answer. Either things fall into place, or I realize I need to take a different turn, or shut a door.

Either way, I know I have to keep moving.

Below is this week's mantra from novelist Philipp Meyer on the Meaning of Hustle, in his essay published in this month's Maxim. Enjoy!

"Hustle is staying ahead of your karma. Helping people who don't deserve it. Forgiving your enemies. Your only real fear should be that one day you will start to listen to what other people say about you. It's easy when most of it is bad. Harder when most of it is good. But still. You ignore it. It’s poison.

This has been said a million times, but you have to take the hardest path. You have to set the highest goal. Why? Because you will always fall short." 

/ image via Design Love Fest

4 comments

  1. Hi Dere,
    How are you? I hope you are all well. Today I am shareing a good topic. So please kind attention. Why would anyone want a really good smile? Well, simply because your personal appearance has an effect on how you feel and think about yourself. Furthermore, a report by the Brigham Young University-Idaho reveals just how much your personal appearance can affect the manner in which others react or respond towards you. See more- Invisalign Everett

    You are most welcome
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding a great dentist isn't easy. Whether you live in Hawaii or Wichita, this can be a daunting task, especially if you haven't been to a dentist for a while.
    Orthodontist Chelsea MA

    ReplyDelete


UP